Friday, March 10, 2017

Blog Post 1

Welcome to my first endeavor of blogging! My name is Charlie Brooks and I am currently a 6th grade teacher at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. School #9 in Rochester, NY.

As far as using technology in the classroom, I would say I use a fair amount. Our school is lucky enough to have a plethora of technology tools including: smart-boards, document cameras, Chromebooks etc.

What I would like to gain from this collegial learning circle is also one of the fears I have in using technology, just trying to keep up and be informed with the amount of resources that are out there to use. We are inundated with so many helpful tools and internet resources to use not only ourselves but also with our students. Trying to find a balance of what can be useful and manageable can sometimes be overwhelming. My goal would be to find a better way to navigate all we are given to better determine what would be of benefit to me and my students.

One of my favorite hobbies outside of work is sports. I am a season ticket holder of the Buffalo Bills and Rochester Red Wings. I am also very busy with my family. My wife and I just had our second baby girl, Mackenzie. Our first daughter, Madeline, is two years old and is quite a ball of energy. The picture below was taken over Christmas.








7 comments:

  1. Your fear is the same as mine - TMI! How do we keep informed without being overwhelmed while sifting out what is most appropriate to use in our setting?

    Congratulations on the birth of Mackenzie! You have a lot of responsibility between work and home. It's happy that you have season tickets to sports events so you have a little time to relax :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pic Charlie. I love it you are next door to me. You are my helpful neighbor when my skills fail me. Just imagine what the technology world will be like when your girls are teenagers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Mr. Brooks you have your hands full! Girls tend to have their daddies wrap around their fingers. I know I have three at home and my husband says they are the reason why he is bald. Enjoy them they grow fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Blue Devils! Oops, wrong team. Great post. Trying to find a tool that works for me and not trying too much at one time is what I find overwhelming. Family first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same reason for doing this CLC last year...we are lucky to have so much technology and so many programs to support our students, but they can become overwhelming. Often I don't become comfortable with a program until and using it in my classroom until a year or more after it is introduced. I found taking this class helped me find a focus and sort through what worked best for my classroom. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's up Brooks! Similar feeling here man. There's an overwhelming amount of technology out there and it is so hard to keep up. I added about 5 new pieces of instructional tech to my classroom while taking this course last year. I'm doing it again because I got a feeling that I only touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to tech.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fact that our school has so much technology available to students but it can be a bit overwhelming at times. Your kids a beautiful I did not realize you had a second little girl they grow so fast enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete