Friday, April 21, 2017

Does Technology Enhance Student Learning?

Without a doubt I think the amount of technological resources we have to choose from is a positive in the classroom. It's better to have too much than none at all. In regards to this helping my students writing I have mixed feelings. For starters my students are highly motivated to use their Chromebooks for their writing. I have also found that from an editing standpoint I am able to help more students more often. The ability to do frequent checks on my students work using google docs does help the work they are producing. One drawback I have found that research reports have left some of my students just copy and pasting random facts from websites. This obviously requires some intervention with the teacher to help the students understand the best way to use and understand facts and sources from the internet and providing some of their own context on it.

At our school we are constantly looking at a plethora of data that helps us pinpoint specific areas our students need help in. Its from this data where my students and I come up with academic goals for themselves. Having this data at my fingertips has been instrumental to my RTI groupings. Having students look at their own data and assist in making their academic goals is very empowering to the students. It gives them a sense of ownership in their education and they feel accomplished when they accomplish a goal they made for themselves.

While making these goals for students I am constantly trying to figure out which specific academic program we use would be best to use to give the student independent practice on their particular goal. This can sometimes be hard to manage. In my small groupings I can give students an assignment and ask for them to have it done when they meet with me next. Incorporating these goals with a academic program can sometimes be hard to keep up with. Trying to make sure all my students are working on specifically what I have asked them to independently can be challenging.

As with anything there are upsides and downsides. In regards to how students learn best, from my experience it includes the use of some form of technology.

10 comments:

  1. I agree technology can not be used in isolation. PLNs can help with management and helping to effectively monitor student progress. How? Read my blog:0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good philosophical point of it being better to have too many choices than none at all. Probably important to keep that perspective. I think it is easier to check their work more frequently. The big issue that you brought up that resonates with me is the concern of cutting and pasting. We need to develop software that detects and rejects pasting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you are able to comment about a students writing while it is progress in Google Docs. Do they have to submit it for you to be able to do that and then you return it to them or are you just able to do that while they are working on it. Bravo to the goal setting you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the typo...a ? mark is needed after it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are correct in stating that when students write on Chromes, it is possible to have more writing conferences! It's also easier to read as you don't need to decipher what letters or words students are trying to write (a joy to experience in the early elementary grades)! Technology is definitely a plus for teachers when it comes to assigning group or individual work. It keeps students more engaged and focused so that teachers can meet with small groups without management issues that can occur without the technology. It definitely makes a teacher stay on their toes when it comes to finding, assigning, and looking over results of tech-based assignments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I envy that you are able to use google for typing up reports! I have tried using google for my reports but it is very time consuming! In third grade students don't exactly have the typing skills or stamina! I could see how when they learn to copy and paste they would try to just copy and paste the facts and not use their own words. I agree it is important to have that conversation about plagiarism!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen the same thing with students cutting and pasting from students when they do research. I can see how google docs would allow you to conference with students more, I like the comment feature a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see the benefits of using google docs/classroom to interact and confer with students more efficiently. I can see trying to use Seesaw at the lower levels to confer and talk with my primary students.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree. I'd much rather have too much technology than not enough. We are very fortunate at our school to have so much. As for the usefulness google? I honestly don't know where I'd be without it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hadn't thought of having too much vs. none at all. I would much rather too much as I do believe that it does help motivate and differentiate in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete